for the love of peonies


i'm not sure when i decided i would be in love with peonies but for a few years now they've been my flower of choice come early summer.  Last month when we were back in maine my girlfriend Jess' mom was growing the most beautiful peonies.  a few thing popped into my head: 1) why am i not growing peonies 2) oh yes, I don't have a green thumb and usually kill any plant with neglect.  But seeing her garden simply motivated me...her garden in general was insane: filled with fresh veggies, herbs and flowers.  I didn't know Peonies could grow in San Diego but when Jess' mom told me "you need to trick the peonies to think they can grow in your climate" I decided I need to do some research.  I came across an article on Sunset .  I've learned a few things that may help me plant some beloved peonies.  After all, if i do decide to take the challenge my motivation to not kill them would be simple: i'd have beautiful peonies in my house to admire almost year-round.

Where to grow: Peonies thrive in cooler climates where they get pronounced winter chill. But some will grow well in warmer climates. All are also worth a try in dappled shade in zones 14–20. There, give plants afternoon shade and ample water.
When to plant: Set out container-grown plants in late April in warmer climates, May or June in cold-winter areas. Expect more bloom from 3-year-old peonies in 5-gallon containers.
How to plant: 
From nursery containers, in spring or fall: Loosen the soil and mix in generous amounts of compost, then place the plant in the ground with the top of its rootball level with the soil, taking care not to disrupt tender feeder roots. Or transplant it into a large (18- to 24-inch diameter) container that is wider than deep.
From roots, in fall: Plant herbaceous peony roots with eyes 2 inches deep in cold climates, 1 inch deep in warmer regions. Itoh hybrids should be planted 3 inches deep in cold climates, 2 inches deep in warmer areas.
How to water, feed: Water regularly. Feed with low-nitrogen fertilizer (such as 5-10-10) as the first leaves unfurl in spring, then again after the last flower fades.
When to pick: To harvest blooms for bouquets, cut stems just as flower buds begin to open (leave at least three leaves to nourish the plant for the following year); they’ll last up to a week in vases. Most varieties produce one bloom per stem, although Itoh hybrids produce more blooms per stem as the plants age.
Post-bloom care: In autumn, cut herbaceous and Itoh hybrid peonies to the ground; new growth will emerge the following spring. 

I read that there are certain types of peonies like the Festiva Maxima that can grow in our climate.  There are other variations of the flower than can survive San Diego too. 





No comments :

Post a Comment